The adhesives used on fruit and vegetable stickers are regulated by the FDA. They are labeled as “indirect food-contact substances.”
What chemicals the glue can be made from are listed in the Code of Federal Regulations part 175.125. The same rules apply to adhesives for both organic and conventional produce.
For any food-contact substance to be approved, the FDA considers its composition, the amount a consumer might eat, short and long-term health effects, and any other safety factors. The FDA then sets a threshold at a lower level than what one would be expect to have any adverse effect from. They still advise washing fruits and vegetables before eating them.
Why is that do you suppose?
Ever wondered what IS actually in that glue?
Fruits and vegetables have a skin, much like humans do. It is porous and absorbs things that are sprayed onto it or adhered to it.
Think of nicotine and birth control patches. You stick them to your arm and it absorbs systemically… These stickers may very well be doing the same thing to our produce…. So what exactly are they sticking to our food?
In turn, after a little research, it seems what they are really doing is sticking it to all of us.
Check this out: This is the list of approved adhesive/glue ingredients that can be used on produce here in the USA.
Trisodium – Corrosive when ingested.
Turpentine – Completely toxic when ingested.
Urea-formaldehyde resins – Rapid absorption, extremely toxic
Styrene Maleic anhydride – Non-surgical method of male sterilization
Petroleum – Highly toxic when ingested
Synthetic paraffin – Toxic when ingested
Xylene – In higher levels Xylene can cause progressive inhibition of nervous system function, culminating in coma, respiratory depression and ultimately death from cerebral anoxia. There is danger also of life-threatening cardiac arrhythmia.
Zinc ammonium chloride – It is a Class 9 hazardous material according to the U.S. DOT. Used in galvanizing steel.
Zinc dibenzyl dithiocarbamate – This is a rubber accelerator which may cause skin and respiratory issues.
Zinc dibutyldithiocarbamate – This is a fire accelerant. Combustible and toxic.
Zinc diethyldithiocarbamate – toxic rubber accelerator and contact allergen.
Zinc formaldehyde sulfoxylate – Highly toxic. Do not handle without special equipment.
Zinc orthophosphate – Slightly toxic. May cause skin irritation.
Zinc resinate – The toxological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated. May cause skin and eye issues.
Zinc sulfide – Toxicity only develops after chronic exposure.
Zineb – fungicidal powder on vegetables and fruit. Can interfere with metabolism.
Ziram – Also used to control fungal infections on food. Ziram exposure has been linked to an increase in the chance of the development of Parkinson’s Disease.
*Some chemicals have been excluded from the list as they were either found to be labeled as safe or I was unable to find evidence either direction.
The FDA has set these at “approved levels” – But how can anything that toxic be safe at any level? And do you really trust the FDA? A little bit of poison cumulatively over time adds up. None of these items are things I personally care to ingest.
The best way to wash your fruits and vegetables:
Step 1. Soak in Vinegar and water for 10 minutes.
Step 2. Make your own non-toxic Goo-Gone.
It works on vegetables, fruits and other stuff!
Mix 1 part baking soda and 1 part coconut oil, rub a little on the sticky spot, and let it sit for a minute or so. Then scrub the spot with a scouring pad or brush and rinse it off.
Will some of the toxins remain? I am unable to find any information conclusively one-way or the other. Please join me in writing to the FDA in protest. These chemicals are not safe, nor should they be anywhere near our food.
http://www.rosybluhandmade.com (goo gone recipe source)
Originally posted: https://naturalnewsblogs.com/toxic-warning-fruit-vegetable-stickers-organic-makes-zero-difference/
Author: Sarah Barendse
2 Comments Add yours
You listed turpentine. Was that a mistake? Turpentine is an ancient remedy and is especially good for Candida when taken internally. You can find a lot of great uses for it online. Also good for parasites.
Enjoy all you do.
Hi Wayne, Turpentine is toxic if swallowed. Here is the
MDS data safety sheet on it. file:///C:/Users/Dz%20Laptop/Downloads/TURPENTINE.pdf
That is very interesting if it can indeed be used also as a remedy! Thank you. I will look into that as well.